Sasquatch 2015 Preview!
We’ve got some cool stuff going up this year, not the least of which involves this weekend: Sasquatch 2015 is pretty dang close to here. We’ve asked our writers to come up with some artists they’re excited about that will be playing this weekend, and we’ll start off with Bjork, who will mos def be there! The good people at Sasquatch have this handy scheduler thingy so you can set up who you wanna see and where they’ll be and when. Check it out and plan your weekend!
At last, my favorite time of the year. It’s festival season, my wonderful people, and for me it begins with Sasquatch. Now a well-adjusted Junior at the festival and also an official adult with a horizontal ID, I feel more ready than ever to knock this one out of the park. Camping gear ready, Costco run complete, outfits carefully thought out – I’m set. Such a prime lineup and the schedule for once didn’t spark any debates over who I have to miss. So far so good. Let’s talk about all the excitement that I can barely contain:
Through extensive research (on Twitter) I’ve learned that Sampha tours with SBTRKT at this point and if this is in fact the case then I cannot even begin to explain the excitement radiating through my body! Some of my most favorite memories through the past few years are latched onto SBTRKT’s first album and his newest release was nothing short of fantastic. I’m ready to sob for an hour and a half, bring it on.
I was introduced to Flume in late 2012 by my dude and now we get to watch him together on his birthday! WOOHOO! From what I’ve been told about Flume’s performances it’s going to be a perfect dance party and I’ve got my dancing shoes. What a great way to close day one!
3. Sylvan Esso
Sometimes you stumble upon your favorite bands while listening to your other favorite band’s Pandora station. Thank you Made In Heights radio, you have brought me the blessing that is Sylvan Esso. This will be my second time seeing this amazing duo and I am thrilled! Trying to stand still is nearly impossible when these two are making music. With the sweetest vocalist twirling around the stage to some of the best beats, it’s one that you can’t miss!
4. Hot Chip
Who wouldn’t be just overwhelmingly stoked to see Hot Chip? Just having released their new album after keeping us on our toes for the past two years, I have a feeling that this performance will showcase it in the best way possible.
5. Cashmere Cat
I last saw Cashy Cat for a Halloween party in Victoria, BC and it was one insanely great night. His sets are perfect for dancing your heart out (which seems to be a running theme on my list this year). He has deservingly been garnering the attention of most lately due to his recent collaborations with Ariana Grande and even helping produce a Kanye track (say WHAT??) and is someone you definitely shouldn’t miss.
Honorable mentions: Little Dragon, Aluna George, Odesza, Modest Mouse, Chromeo
Alright. Maybe I’m not going, but I have good reason: back-to-back weddings this weekend to kick off the 2015 wedding season. Growing up is weird, people! Here are the 5 artists I’d say you should probably see.
1. Lana Del Freaking Rey R U SRS. Sultry is the only word you need when it comes to this smokin’ singer. My heart breaks every time “Born To Die” comes on off the album of the same title. I got that summertime, summertime Lana Crush. Dunno how she is live, but I’m down to catch her one of these days.
2. Twenty One Pilots Wait 21P is playing? I …. dang it. I still haven’t seen them but I will rectify that later this year at the freaking Red Rocks Amphitheater. Regardless, this genre-hopping duo is gonna be slamming out new songs from today’s release Blurryface as well as the rockin’ old favorites from Vessel. Gonna be sick.
3. Odesza I love Odesza and I think I’ve seen them twice now. In Return hit my top 10 records of 2014, and I broke my one vinyl rule because I loved it so much – I bought the vinyl 2xLP for something like $30. Absolutely worth it. These guys have the lights and the lush electronic sound to make any afternoon beautiful, and practically every date they’ve set in the last year has completely sold out. This is a treat.
4. Twin Peaks I’ve been hearing about Twin Peaks a lot lately, undoubtedly because of the show reboot, but also because of the Chicago quintet of the same name. With a sweet Audiotree session under their belts (today’s “you should check this band out fsho” badge of honor) and last year’s rocky Wild Onion record, Twin Peaks is gonna be a fun one!
5. Temples I heard about this band on a press release and they have got some serious cool vibes going. This singer dude slings a 12-string Danelectro on The Ellen Show, and there’s really no need to say more.
Honorable mentions: The Glitch Mob, My Goodness, Acapulco Lips, Diarrhea Planet, Angel Olsen, Sam Lachow, Ryler Walker (no particular order here).
Andrew will be shooting for RCA this weekend and we’re super stoked to send him! He’s a man of few words, but he’s put this list together: